Saturday, April 11, 2009

BEDA - April 11th

Might as well start this day off with a little humor

Today was especially a great day to be alive! Weddings, creepy staring, and roommates leaving.

This morning was Robert's wedding. He's been here at the mission for who knows how long. Quite awhile. He married the house mom of Casa 6, Theresa, and she had the cutest little wedding party/bridal party/whatever you call the bride's group of people. It was NOT the bridesmaids cause it was her little boys too, not just the girls, so I don't think they would appreciate being called bridesmaids. Anywho...they all had their little tuxes, slick hair, and shiny shoes. It was great. I did sound, everything went fine. Avitia did have the mic most of the time, but he didn't try and sing his usual solo or anything. Just a great little wedding all around. Short and sweet. Robert asked Theresa's 8 year old son to accept him into their family, and said he could call him whatever he wanted, but I can't remember the options he gave him. I just remember it being rather adorable and Robert was funny as usual. Theresa was tearing up...as well as Robert, which just doesn't happen.
After the wedding, we went down to the Bible Institute kitchen for the reception. Surprisingly lacking on the food, but whatever, we found ways to have fun. Deborah and I just picked out random people to stare at until they'd feel our presence and turn around and look at us. Then we'd bust out laughing, and they'd give us the "Wow, you're retarded" face. Every time. I have no idea why. Easily the best was when we picked out Pedro from the Bible Institute. So we start staring at him, and he's completely oblivious of us while he's stuffing his face with food. Very quickly, we discovered that standing behind was Edith, one of the "bridesmaids"/"daughters" of the Casa 6 mom, Theresa, the one getting married. From her point of view, it looked like were staring right at her. In a very creepy manner. Even better, Robert the Groom was standing right next to her, and she turns to him and tells him about us by pointing at us and stuff. Smiling, trying to act like it's funny and normal to be stared at. It was kind of an awkward process trying to explain to him with hand motions that we weren't staring at his "daughter" but in fact were checking out the 50 year old man sitting in front of Edith. Hopefully he interpreted our hand signals correctly. If not, I'm soooo dead on Monday. I totally looked like a creeper. Deborah, not so much. She doesn't normally participate in girl-staring activities. Soon enough, Pedro saw us and gave us a great reaction, so we quickly moved on to someone else. Bonnie. She also gave us a great reaction. Like..."They do look familiar, but I'm SURE I've never seen them before."
Oh! I almost forgot! Most interesting part of the wedding. Probably one of the most random things I've seen at a wedding actually. So we're all sitting in this crammed kitchen, I'd say a hundred or so people, probably a little more, and every seat is taken. People are standing, some sitting on the window sills, everywhere. The wedding party shows up last and sits at their reserved table, and then has the privilege of starting in line first. So they get up and go get all the good food before it's gone. We sit in our chairs watching them...jealousy spread across our faces, cause we know full well there's not going to be much left for us. We're barely surviving on our room temperature pop, and heck, we'd already had a fight over that. We've still got three tables to go till we get food. Right before it's our turn to get in line, this Mexican family (the bride's family, from Cabo San Lucas) from the wedding party, at the head table that got to go first, shows up with a large, hot pizza, included with a crisp, chilled 3 liter Coke. They place it on the table in front of them, and start chowing down. Really????? Really?!?! We all sit here waiting for you guys in line, and you get your food, then go out and get a pizza and cold drinks?? Really? No pues wow. Seriously. That just cracked me up that they did that. But...I guess I can't complain too much...my neighbor scored me a piece. We made a deal..I would get him a piece of the wedding cake if he got me a piece of pizza. So I kept up my end of the deal, and before I was even back, my pizza was sitting at my seat. When I asked him what he had to do to get it, he said he pointed to me and said I don't know Spanish and I'm too shy to come ask for it. And it worked. Like a charm.

Lastly, my roommate of all of one week (for spring break) left this evening at midnight, to go back to LA. 7 hour drive...leaving at midnight. Great planning on his part. Whatever, his choice. Anywho, Kelcie, Deborah, Chris, and I were sitting in their trailer, and our movie ended, and Chris got up to leave. Literally, from the point the movie was over, 2 minutes later he was gone. He jumped up from his seat, said see you later,m and out the door he went.


OK.......

Really epic goodbye, I must say. He'll work on that, I'm sure.


And it's officially time for bed. My buddies are threatening to get me up at 5:30 for sunrise Easter service. I've already graciously declined their warm welcome, and picked the later, more humane service. But who knows, it's Kelcie and Deborah...nothing will stop them from still coming in and bashing my head in till I'm awake. Wouldn't be the first time.


And to leave you this evening, I depart on a musical note and a heart-warming, tear-inducing, loving note.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment