Tuesday, April 7, 2009

BEDA - April 7th

Good evening to all, and to all...go to bed. It's late. Ohhh, what to write, what to write.

Today has been mostly uneventful...except for the Portal fest. Portal is this physics/logic/puzzle computer game that requires a LOT of thought. Hurts your brain actually. But in a good, thought-provoking way (my roommate is snoring up a tornado next to me...see what I go through for you guys?!?!). Anywho, so my supervisor, for starters, was sick today, so I was alone. Didn't get a whole lot done, but sure learned a lot about Command Prompt. Man, that's fun to play with. Then Deborah's roommate came here for spring break, and she wanted me to take a look at her laptop, cause it had been giving her some troubles (Vista haha). But this was a strange one, it just randomly beeped on boot up. Not a single beep....like a full on Window's parade. Both Kevin and I couldn't figure out what was up with it. All I got was that by pressing the Print Screen key, it stopped the beeping. Hardly a fix, but better than that wretched beeping for now. Anywho, after work was finished, Kevin showed up, and I gave him my laptop, and he played Portal on the projector for about 4 hours straight. What a great, addicting, game. He really enjoyed it, but had a little trouble at times. But seriously, you try playing that game without getting stuck...the lady (yes, woman) who created that game is a genius. Besides it being a totally, epically funny game. The dialogue is just priceless.


Secondly, while still on the topic of Kevin, we were sitting up in our room about a month ago, and I said something about David Beckham - I can't remember what - and he kinda laughs, and goes..."Who's that?"

...........
..................
........................
..............................

On the return trip from the hospital, I explained to him that it is a federal crime to not know who David Beckham is. That's a global sin. Not only is it that, it's hardly even possible to not know him, he's only on the news in LA (6 hours from here) every other day. I honestly couldn't fathom it. I was so beside myself, I was practically yelling at him. How does someone not know him, or even hear his name mentioned, online, or TV?? How does that happen? I'm not being sarcastic at all...After I learned this, I tried thinking what life would be like if I didn't know who David Beckham was...and I thought of this England vs. Greece video. I've always said if there's one thing I wished I could've been alive for, and personally witnessed,
#1 is to have witnessed to the computer evolve from the '50s and '60s onward to now.
#2 is to be at that game. Just think of the circumstances (even if you are American and don't understand/love/care about/care to get soccer). Just put yourself in the boots of David Beckham (I wish!!!).
First, you're the most sought after footballer in the world at this time...you've got just an eensy weensy bit of pressure on you.
Second, soccer games last 90 minutes, plus whatever the ref decides for injury time, usually a minute or two. It's currently running on the 93rd minute. The game is ending at ANY moment. More like 20 seconds ago.
Third, this is a World Cup qualifier game, meaning, basically, that whoever wins, goes to the World Cup. And, outside the US, that's a big deal. And for England, possessing the most talented league in football, that's as big as it gets. They ARE the soccer powerhouse. If they don't go to the World Cup, the country will be in riots for weeks.
Fourth, It's being played at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, The Field of Dreams - the most popular stadium in Europe, possibly the world.
Fifth, Beckham plays for Manchester United...and their home field is the Field of Dreams. Old Trafford. It's his hometown, his first pro team, he got his fame there, from that same crowd, same stadium, same everything. He's at home. And his family, 60,000 strong, are there for him. But more importantly, with him. I'm getting the chills just think about this
sixth, the score is 2-1, Greece - 2, England - 1. World Cup qualifiers are two-legged matches (the previous leg was held in Greece the week before), one game at each team's home country. Based on the score of the previous match in Greece, England needed AT LEAST a tie to go to the World Cup (Since England scored more away at the Greece game, (on aggragate, pointage wise, they don't have to win at home. They can still get the win even if they tie, becuase of the previous game's score). So we have 2-1, but in need of at least one goal to get the tie, and therefore, the win.

To set this up, in an American way, this is like the 14th inning of the MLB World Series Championships, last game, series tied at 3 games a piece. They're tied at 7 runs, in the bottom of the 14th inning, home team up for bat, bases loaded. Next batter comes up, and whips out the grand slam. Inside the park grand slam.
Or even the Super Bowl. AFC championship game tied at 21 in sudden death. First one to score, wins. No throw in everything else, and you've got maybe a quarter of David Beckham. I could never explain it well enough, almost just because I wasn't there, but also because it would surpass anything.
Now, throw the weight of the entire country on his shoulders. At this point, he's the only one that can change the outcome of the game. The whistle would've been blown seconds after that/ But David steps up, commits, and executes. Perfectly.
And that is the second thing that I wished I could've been personally present for. The atmosphere just in the video gives me the hardcore chills every time. I can't even imagine the atmosphere that was in and around England that day. The feeling of just being there would've sent me over the edge. Yep...
And just yesterday, I was wearing my Manchester United t-shirt, and again, he goes, who's that??? Grrrrrr.....

Anywho, that's all I had to say now, cause I'm so bloody tired
It's really early...and my eyes are hurting like crazy. And I've fallen asleep like 6 times already. Goodnight!! And hopefully I'll have something a little more profound next time. I'm just too tired to think of anything else. And, well, David Beckham deserves his own page. Sure thing!!!

Bye bye!!
Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment