Thursday, April 16, 2009

BEDA - April 16th

Ahhh, hello Thursday.

Quite a relaxing day overall.

Kevin got back late last night, so we weren't really in the mood for jumping right back into the everyday work schedule. I worked for awhile on cleaning up my hard drive. I'm still running Windows 7 Ultimate on Kevin's 160 GB hard drive, while my 250GB drive sits unused...oh, poor Vista. But, I've had Kevin's drive too long, I'm running dangerously low on drive space, and I'll be getting my camera this week (and HD video takes up quite a bit of hard drive space). I spent most of the morning cleaning it, got all my files/videos/pictures off it, and now it's ready for formatting. Then, I have to Ghost my current drive (Ghosting is basically taking the exact configuration of my hard drive, copying it, and then putting it on a new hard drive). In short, taking everything I have on Kevin's drive and putting it on my drive, so I can give his drive back to him. Pretty extreme process though...cause last time I checked, copying 158GB of data takes a LONG TIME! I don't look forward to that. but it must be done. And I've heard rumors of Ghost corrupting the files, which makes me uncomfortable. I have a very VERY customized computer, I'm scared it won't turn out exactly the way I have it now. Scary stuff. Also kinda wrong that that's the most worrying thing of my week haha. Uh oh. Well, I guess that will be the end of my hard drive update. Save all you non-nerds from leaving right away.

The rest of the day, Kevin and I discussed everything from old school PC games to...new school PC games. Our conclusions? SimCity 2000. Most epic old school game. And then I really missed paying that, cause that was like THE GAME of my generation. I remember the day my dad brought that home for us. Totally surprised us. What was that, like 1997? 1998? We were addicted. that game was a revelation. There was nothing else like it at the time, so futuristic. I miss the days of 50 MB games that loaded in a minute and didn't require CD keys and serial numbers. You just loaded the CD, clicked install, and it did as it was told. You were playing in a matter of a couple minutes. Now you've got 4, 5, even 8 GB games that take hours to load, require four CD keys, and then once it starts installing, it lets you know that you need a new computer to run the game. Ahhh, thanks hi-tech.

So later that night, I (quickly) downloaded and installed SimCity 2000. I swore to myself that I'd write my blog and play the piano before I started playing the game. I went back to my trailer to eat first...then...played SimCity for four hours. So much for the blog and piano idea. Once I started playing, I couldn't stop. Oh how I missed that game. It's so simple and sleek. The most important thing though is that even to this day, it's still an amazing game. In the midst of Crysis and Half Life and Portal and Battlefield, SimCity 2000 is still owning. Not to mention Total Annihilation. Still, as always, my all-time most favorite game. I remember the day my cousin showed that to me at his house. He was working for Cavedog at the time (the company producing that game), and was discussing the system requirements for the game. From what it looked like, our current computer couldn't handle the game. Which made me sad. And my cousin convinced my dad that it wasn't deadly and violent, cause it's just robots blowing up robots. Nothing else. And man, watching him play that game made me want it so bad. Back in when it was first released, it was the 1997 Game of the Year (whoever gave it that is smart). That Christmas, my cousin surprised us with a big box under our tree. What was it? Total Annihilation? Almost. It was total Annihilation AND not one, but two expansion packs. We played that for years. Even up through high school, we'd still pull it out every once in awhile and go through little spurts of Total Annihilation. So, of course, I'm downloading that right now. I need a fix of Total Annihilation. It's been awhile.

To end my Thursday, I played soccer for quite awhile, cause tomorrow, I am going up to Ensenada to play in a soccer tournament. Should be a blast. Soccer always is. And with Mexicans? No doubt. Hopefully we'll come back with a trophy.

It's time to go eat now though, so I'll leave you with this uber nerdy, slightly PC game-saturated update. Until tomorrow!


Thobinator

No comments:

Post a Comment