Wednesday, April 15, 2009

BEDA - April 15th

Basically....this is going to be uber darn short.

Today's exciting event was the garbage run. And getting stuck there. First, the House 7 boys have school off this week, so 4 of them came with me. Obviously, a blast. We can see the dump from the mission actually, up on the hill behind us, and all morning, smoke was just billowing out of it like I've never seen. When we got there, they had us drive to the top of the dump...right through the smoke, and right TOWARDS the smoke. Couldn't see a bloody thing going through it. Once we got up there, I backed into position where the guy told me to go, and we all got out to start unloading our garbage.
Then, just like in the movies, this other guy who works there comes out of nowhere, walking through the smoke in some epically dramatic entrance. Walking out of the flames. It was quite cool. But it didn't stay quite cool, cause he was the one that came and told us that we couldn't dump there and that we needed to go back down the hill clear to the other side of the dump. Yeah, whatever, not that far. Except, very far when you've got a huge plume of smoke in your way. We tried for like 20 minutes, there was no way we were getting through. I made a couple attempts, nothing. Couldn't see a foot in front of me. And to add to that, the truck would quickly fill up with un-breathable smoke. Not normal fire smoke. This was a month's worth of trash from an entire city they were burning. Who knows what could've gone in there. Heck, we could've been breathing in a former body, no one knows. That's kind of a nasty thought though..I hope that's not true.

So...we waited...and waited...and waited. Eventually the wind blew the smoke to one side for no more than a couple seconds, giving us enough time to see where the road was, and the truck waiting in front of us gunned it. I had to follow them within a foot or so the whole way down just to see his tail lights. I was hoping he knew where the rest of the road went, cause I couldn't see a darned thing, let alone his own truck. It was pretty epic indeed. Can't say I've seen that amount of concentrated smoke in quite awhile. Maybe 9/11? That might have been the last time...I don't know. It was bad though.
The waiting at the dump was fine though, having the House 7 boys there was well worth it..so entertaining. As always.

Lastly, I've picked out my camera, just need to give my parentals the OK, and it'll be ordered. Hopefully get it before I leave for Tijuana. I really want some awesome footage of Tijuana. To be perfectly honest, I don't think many people are getting any footage of Tijuana these days, what with random beheadings and bodies in barrels of acid. But man, I'd be the star of YouTube if I got some of that on camera.

Not that I'd feel like a total jerk for filming that and putting it on the Internet though...

To end with my Internet findings of the day, here is one witty picture, and one mind-blowing picture, which may just give you a whole new perspective on your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment